Alaska According to Marie
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Days Off
The weather and schedules have not been completely accommodating for summer vacation time. It's hard to plan. Most of the things I have done over the past month have been the result of a spontaneous decision to just go play in spite of the weather. Or if the sun breaks through and there are no immediate deadlines, I'll head out and try get a little Vitamin D.
I have been fishing a lot the past couple weeks, waiting for that elusive silver to bite my hook.
Matthew took me on a cool ride up on the Willow side of Hatcher's. The view was fantastic and we had the whole place to ourselves. The only time we passed anyone was right before we left the trail and got back onto the Willow Fishook road. And we were grateful to see people then, because we were really hoping that we were close to the road. The trail was so fun and we saw some really cool stuff, but those swamps took a toll on us when we got down into the lower elevations and we were soaked and running close to empty by the time we saw them. We were so happy to be assured that we weren't lost.
My garden has been fruitful, or rather... veggie-ful. My most recent harvest included a very nice sized head of iceberg lettuce. My poor peas fell prey to some little critters and my cabbage made a nice snack for a passer0by moose (I saw the tracks). My spinach was eaten down to the nubs but that wasn't so heart-breaking since I had just about picked over those completely. So, I have learned a lot about my garden and am making plans for a fortified barrier around the vegetables next year.
Here are a few pictures from the past couple of weeks, with a little musical accompaniment by Lovin' Spooful.





5 Comments:
Marie!
What? That we were almost lost? I know... my eyes were glued to the gas tank there at the end. But having that GPS with us really helped with knowing what direction the road was, even if we ended up having to hike out. ha.
That's funny that your mom didn't even have to say it and you knew :) I like the pix
...i'm just a little black rain cloud... hovering over the honey tree.... everyone knows that a rain cloud.. never eats honey NO NOT A BIT!
hum hum hum hum hum HUM HUM HUUUUUMMMMM.. hum hum hum hum hum hum hu huh hum...
yes, that.
Hey Marie! Just stoppin by to see what kind of life adventure you are up too! Hope all is weel there in AK.
Jen
Post a Comment
<< Home